21 July 2011

The Perfect Day

I awake to soft sunlight coming through my blinds. I'm going to Santa Cruz today! I smile and get out of bed. I pull on my swimming suit that looks like it's straight from the 60's. My jumpsuit comes next. It's so comfy and perfect for the beach. After a quick breakfast--my roommates Melissa and Crissy and I get in the car. It's a beautiful day. The sun is shining through the windows warming my arms and toes. We chat and listen to music as I watch the palm trees turn to pine trees and back to palms.

Finally we make it to the boardwalk.We head to the arcade first. I fill my pockets with tokens and I feel like a kid again. I find the Skee Ball and "Mario Kart" games. I play "Flamin Finger" and "Fruit Ninja" on a huge screen.

We laugh and play them all again. After my pockets are empty of tokens and full of tickets, we head to the prizes desk. I have 57 tickets to spend on rubber erasers and plastic rings. Happy.


We make our way to the end of the boardwalk--taking the shortcut through the hot sand. We're reminded of What a Girl Wants. "Mom always says--'If you can walk on the beach and have a steady hand with the nail polish--you don't ever need to pay for a pedicure.'"

Next our hands hold tickets for the old fashioned rides. The colors are vibrant and I don't want to blink in case I miss something. The smell of sugary sweets and fried Twinkies fills our noses. Bells and laughter ring in our ears. I taste the cold sweet mint taste of Dippin Dots Ice Cream. Excited.


We go on a flying ride on our stomachs. I can't stop laughing. The ride keeps going in circles. My laughing starts to sound like crying. Is it over yet? Finally. We get off and I walk a few crooked steps. Slowly we walk, enjoying the atmosphere.


We stop at a roller coaster that has been there since 1942. The Giant Dipper. We scream joyfully as the rickety cars race over the old wood and steel. Exhilarated.

Time for the beach. The wind is blowing and bugs are crawling on my legs. I hope the sun comes out soon. . . Sun. Warmth. A huge Asian family playing there version of rock paper scissors loudly sits nearby. Enjoyment.

Walking in the ocean. Smelling the sweet salty ocean air as the waves crash against my legs. Peaceful.

We stop at the shops to look around. I find the salt water taffy. Cinnamon, pineapple, watermelon, peppermint--delish! Chocolate covered bacon? Sounds interesting. One of those too please!

It's time to go home. Tired but content.

The sun goes down and I smile at the memory of this perfect day.

June 12, 2011

1 comment:

Sara Ann said...

That was awesome, I felt like I was there with you!